Communications and Development Coordinator
FairVote Minnesota is seeking to hire a talented, energetic and skilled individual to assist with all aspects of its communications outreach, fundraising, including graphic design, social media, writing/editing and administrative tasks. The position reports to the Executive Director with close collaboration with other members of the communications team, as well as staff. This position includes the following responsibilities:
Marketing and public relations
- Assist in the development of the organization’s marketing, media and public relations strategy
- Work with communications team to develop media and communications plans in line with the organization’s strategy
- Represent the organization at community and public events
- As part of the communications team, serve as one of the liaisons to the media; develop and maintain media contact lists
- Help at community outreach events, including live social media
- Take photographs and solicit pro-RCV quotes at events
- Manage the organization’s various social media platforms, including daily engagement on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Set and track goals for social media growth and impact using analytics.
- Write social media posts and manage social media calendars.
- Manage photo library using Flickr.
- Create informational and engaging flyers, event invitations, sample ballots, banners, and more using the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Coordinate with other event staff and field team to collect pro-RCV narratives from field operations to feed into communications needs
- As part of the communications team, assist as needed in writing and editing:
- newsletter content for various audiences
- ghost op-eds and letters to the editor
- speeches, op-eds, press releases, or other promotional materials to increase awareness of the causes, missions, or goals of the organization
- Design e-newsletters using NGP VAN.
- E- newsletter list management, including sending deadline-sensitive. weekly newsletters to various lists.
- Design or produce materials such as posters, web sites, or newsletters to promote, market, or advertise events.
- Write reports or prepare presentations to communicate fundraising program data.
Fundraising and events
- Assist in writing and editing grant proposals and donor appeals, and help with distribution.
- Assist in developing and implementing fundraising activities, such as annual giving campaigns, Give to the Max or direct mail drives.
- Assist in coordinating fundraising events, including recruiting sponsors, participants and volunteers for events.
- Attend community events, meetings, or conferences to promote organizational goals or solicit donations or sponsorships.
- Assist in managing and update donor database.
- Conduct member and donor analysis to inform organizational strategy and work plans.
- Help secure commitments of participation or donation from individuals or corporate donors.
- Help identify and build relationships with potential donors.
- Write and send letters of thanks to donors.
- Edit website content and create new pages on primary organization website using Drupal.
- Create and manage new websites for new projects using Weebly or other content management systems.
Other miscellaneous communication tasks as needed.
- College degree, preferably in a communications-related area (marketing, journalism or English or design)
- Experience managing various social media platforms
- Access to the Adobe Creative Suite (preferred)
- Fundraising experience (preferred)
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including the ability to understand and articulate nuanced political arguments
- Familiarity with Associated Press style guidelines
- Detail-oriented with commitment to accuracy and excellence
- Highly organized
- Ability to work in flexible, open-style work environment with diverse people at our office in St. Paul and throughout the community
- Enthusiastic support for Ranked Choice Voting
- Good team skills
- Ability to work an irregular schedule, including occasional evenings and weekends
- Positive, energetic approach to challenges and deadlines
- Willingness to ask questions, learn new skills and make recommendations
FairVote Minnesota Foundation is committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourages applications from women, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and/or historically marginalized communities. This position is full-time exempt. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Start Date: Immediately after hire
To apply, please email your resume, brief letter of interest, samples of past work, and two references to Jeanne Massey at Jeanne.Massey@FairVoteMN.org.